Friday, September 11, 2009

Hi, my name is Debbie...

and I'm a wip-aholic...

It started off innocent enough. First I only had two wips (works-in-progress) going at a time, but I handled it so well. What could one more hurt?

Then I got a new yarn and pattern I just couldn't wait to try. I had it under control, and I knew what I was doing. I wasn't just recklessly slipping another project into the wip category. I'd have projects, spaced apart so that they were all in different stages of completion, and it wouldn't be long before one of them was finished, so this last one wouldn't really count...

The plan was great. No one could really tell. My "working basket" next to my bed was over-flowing, but it was hidden from sight, no one would see it unless they went looking.

But, then, before I could get one of the now 4 wips completed, I found myself actively seeking another project to start. This time, I didn't add it to my project lists on Ravelry (I'm TinkingDeb there) right away. I kept it hidden away to myself. Sneaking time to work on it. Stealing time from the other projects ahead of it.

I'm not hurting anyone, I like the variety. I am a social knitter. I don't have a problem. I choose to have more than one wip at a time. I know what I'm doing! I do not have a problem! I simply enjoy being able to switch yarns and stitch patterns frequently. Keeps me from getting bored.

Then a friend looked at my projects page. She about fell out. I really believed that I had things under control, and then she went and commented on my 6 wips. Six???!!! How did it get to be six? After all, I wasn't adding all the new ones to the wips page. How could I have lost count?? How many wips do I have? I have so many that now I don't even know for sure...

Maybe this is something that might, someday, become a problem. Surely, now that I'm aware of it, I'll be able to get a handle on it. I'm stronger than my need to constantly start new projects. When the voices tell me, "Must try new yarn.....need to make this pattern now!....The size 4 needles are lonely, pick them up and start something..." I will be rational. I will not surrender to these urgings, these cravings. It's mind over matter.

I don't intend to wait so long before my next blog post. I've started catching up on things around the house, and writing in the blog will keep me busy, away from the you-know-whats.

Have to run now. I got this really soft mohair today, I'm going to cast on for a cute little tunic top for Pam now. I know it will knit up like a charm....

4 comments:

  1. You're not a wip-aholic. You're a knit-a-holic. Although perhaps you have to finish more stuff than you start for it to be called knitting. Otherwise it's just putting yarn on needles in a pattern....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh....what if knitting is just the gateway craft????? Where could this all lead????

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all about enjoyment and you're one awesome knitter so don't put any restraints on yourself!! Six isn't bad at all, you gotta feel the luv ya know? LOL! We don't usually EAT the same things every day right? We don't wear the same thing every day (we hope!) so just think about it that way!
    Variety is the spice of life!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put some of my WIPs on ravelry in hibernation mode so it doesn't look quite as bad... I have at least 8 to 10 WIPS!

    ReplyDelete